Saturday, February 5, 2011

Why Can't Someone Punt Rachel Ray?

I hate Rachel Ray, but I love the idea of Mexican Lasagna.  This year's Superbowl is taking place in Texas, so what better way to pay homage to the game than with a Mexican-themed tailgating menu for game day? Almost a decade ago, Rachel Ray came up with a skimpy, tasteless, and pretty tame Mexican Lasagna recipe that people seemed to love.  I tasted the awful dish once at a potluck many years ago and had no idea what the big deal was.  No flavor, no spices, a measly two layers of tortilla.  To this day, I have no idea how Rachel Ray herself became such a big hit.  Still, the lasagna itself was on the healthier and lighter side, and I will give her that.  And just that!

Pulling from multiple lasagna and enchilada recipes, in addition for my love of building layers of flavor in foods, I came up with my own great version of Mexican Lasagna!  I also thought it was important to make a dish that had plenty of cheese in it for the big game since I am rooting for the Greenbay Packers all the way!  I am sure other Cheeseheads tomorrow will be doing the same with their tailgating dishes!  I decided to make this the day before the big game since lasagna is one of those rare dishes that tastes better when eaten the next day.

Senorita Amy's Mexican Lasagna 

Ingredients
Light cooking spray
1 pound ground chicken breast
3/4 cup water
1 packet of low-sodium taco seasoning
1 tablespoon of hot sauce
1 8 ounce can of no salt added tomato sauce
1 jar of your favorite salsa (I used an organic hot salsa)
1 can of whole corn kernels, drained
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can of chopped green chiles, in juices
1 teaspoon of your favorite chili powder (I use Penzey's)
10 medium -sized tortillas (I used Mission 96% fat free), cut in halves
8 ounces of reduced-fat Mexican blended cheese
1 bunch of scallions, chopped (white and green parts only)
Accompaniments:  spicy guacamole, low-fat sour cream, crispy tortilla strips (the ones made for salads), and, of course, Corona Light with lime!

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a lasagna pan with light cooking spray.
2) Brown the ground chicken until it is no longer pink, breaking it up with the back of a fork.  Add 3/4 cup of water and taco seasoning mix and stir until thick.  Add the hot sauce and stir.  Set aside.
3)  Combine black beans, corn, and green chiles. Add the chili powder and stir.  Set aside.
4)  Spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the tray and begin layering in thirds: tortillas, meat, beans and corn mixture, salsa, cheese.  Repeat, repeat, repeat!  Once you get to the top layer of cheese, sprinkle with scallions.
4)  Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

No comments: